After your Arrival in Göttingen
The first step: registration at the Einwohnermeldeamt (local Residents' Registration Office)
Regardless of whether you require a visa, in Germany you are obligated to personally register your residency at the Einwohnermeldeamt (local Residents' Registration Office). This is mandatory for everyone who intends to stay in Germany for more than three months. Please register immediately after arrival at a new place of residence.
Local Residents' Registration Office Göttingen
New Town Hall
Phone: 0551 400-4044
Mon, Tue: 8.00 - 15.00
Wed, Fri: 8.00 - 12.00
Thu: 8.00 - 18.30
Documents required for registration:
- Valid piece of identification (passport) of all persons to be registered
- Meldeformular (application form, available at the websites of the Registration Offices)
- Valid pieces of identifications of your children or certificates of children's birth
- Rental agreement and local address
- Certificate of marriage
The second step: application for residence permit
If you hold a foreign citizenship, you will have to apply for a residence permit in the “Ausländerbehörde” (Foreigners´ Registration Office) if you intend to stay longer than three months. Depending on your purpose of stay and, therefore, your kind of visa, the residence permit allows you either to study, to work, or to stay for business or tourist purposes.
EU citizens will obtain the special residence permit for EU citizens there, the so-called Freizügigkeitsbescheinigung (permit for freedom of movement).
Please note: The application or extension of your residence permit will be only possible by personal appointment!
Please make an appointment at the Foreigners´ Registration Office Göttingen.
In order to get an appointment please contact the person responsible for you (the initial of your last name is determinative) per phone or by email to arrange an appointment. You will find the contact data here. If you want to make your appointment by phone, please use the phone consulting hour (Mon, Tue: 2 pm - 3:30 pm)
Foreigners´Registration Office Göttingen
New Town Hall
Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri: 8:00 - 12:00 h (Wed closed!)
extended opening hours on Thu: 12:00 - 17.00 h
phone consulting hour: Mon, Tue: 2 pm - 3:30 pm
- Proof of registration at the local residents' registration office (Meldebescheinigung)
- Completed application form for a residence permit (available at the foreigners' office)
- Passport and copies of its first page and the visa as well as copy of entry stamp (entrance into Germany without visa)
- Biometric passport photo (please contact the MediaService at the institute for a photo session)
- Copy of your employment contract, hosting agreement, or certificate of scholarship quoting the monthly salary or grant
- Copy of rental contract/lease
- Copy of the proof of health insurance in Germany
- If your family is going to stay with you in Göttingen: marriage certificate/birth certificates and school enrollment documentation for the Göttingen school
Please note that there are different types of permits that might affect your future plans (see Flyer Forschungsaufenthalte). If you think you may have the wrong status you will have only a limited time to appeal (see Aufenthaltsgesetz)
Please note: The information provided here is general information. We assume no liability for the above contents. The provided information does not replace any legal advice or legally-binding or professional advice.