Facility for Innovative Light Microscopy (FILM)
The broad range of different microscopic technologies provided by the Facility for Innovative Light Microscopy (FILM) is to promote and expand the application of novel strategies for biological imaging. Currently FILM provides several types of confocal and research microscopes. A detailed list of specifications of the individual microscopes is given on this page. The Facility is open to investigators of the Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry and the DFG Research Center for Nanoscale Microscopy and Molecular Physiology of the Brain, Cluster of Excellence 171 — DFG Research Center 103 (CNMPB, Cluster of Excellence).
Announcements & News
New Share Root
The Data share of the Facility has changed!
Please find your saved data now here:
For organizational reasons we had to update the online booking Scheduler.
The old Scheduler is now inactive!
Unfortunately User data can not be transferred to the new Scheduler. Therefore new User acocunts have to be generated.
Please contact me for your new account.
New STED microscope - Abberior Instruments 2-color STED 775 QUAD Scanning now available in the FILM (03.02.2015)!
The usage for members of the CNMPB is only possible after prior consultation
New confocal microscope - Leica TCS SP8 now available in the FILM (02.02.2015)!
Leica TCS SP1 is no longer available !
Next FILM Introductory Course: ...
Write a mail if you need an Introduction
New confocal microscope Leica TCS SPE !
General Guidelines (short version)
- The FILM has biosafety level S1 - no consumption of food or drinks.
Samples higher than S1 level are not allowed to be taken into the facility!
- Booking of microcopes is mandatory. Access to the FILM is granted from 8 am to 6:30 pm - Access to the FILM later in the evening or at the week end needs special permission (contact us!)
Booking of the Abberior Instruments STED microscopce can at the moment only be done personally with Dirk Kamin, first using will be in presence and under his guidance.
- Only registered Users can book a system. Registration follows after passing the mandatory FILM introductory course.
- Booking is only possible for two weeks in advance.
- Booking slots have a maximum length of up to four hours per day.
- Do not book a system „just in-case“ you might have samples.
- Delete your booking as soon as possible if you do not want to use the slot anymore.
- Be aware, arriving later than 30 min after your slot started results in loosing the complete slot such that everybody else is allowed to use the time-frame.
- The User who booked the microscope is totally in charge of the system during this time-frame. Any kind of misconduct concerning the microscope will be attributed back to this User (and not the person, that used the microscope instead).
At the end of the imaging session
- Clean everything (objectives, stage, table). Do not use excessive amounts of oil.
- Export your data (all data on the Z:-drive will be deleted automatically after 2 weeks!).
- Fill out the „Logbuch“ which can be found next to the microscope (SPE, SP5). Fill in your name, date, time and any comments concerning errors, dirty equipment (e.g. from the user that had the slot before you), etc...
- If no other user is listed after your slot, please switch-off the system (laser, microscope, scanner, fluorescence lamp, PC, etc...).
Please contact us if there are severe problems with a system (hardware or software, or anything else). If you need assistance just come to us.
If you are interested in microscopy check out the Microscopy Club of the CNMPB.