Born on August 4, 1940 in Göttingen. Study of physics and chemistry, doctorate Göttingen University (1965), German Habilitation in physical chemistry Göttingen University (1968), Prof. ord. École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, Switzerland (1971), Honorary Professor EPF Lausanne (1976), Director and Scientific Member at the Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry (since 1990).
Scientifc Awards, Honors and Memberships
Dr. h. c. Bordeaux University (1995)
Dr. h. c. Karlsruhe University (1995)
German Academy of Sciences Leopoldina
Göttingen Academy of Sciences
American Academy of Arts and Sciences
Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences and Humanities