Facility for Innovative Light Microscopy (FILM)
The broad range of different microscopic technologies provided by the Facility for Innovative Light Microscopy (FILM) is to promote and expand the application of novel strategies for biological imaging. Currently FILM provides several types of confocal and research microscopes. A detailed list of specifications of the individual microscopes is given on this page. The Facility is open to investigators of our institute and the DFG Research Center for Nanoscale Microscopy and Molecular Physiology of the Brain, Cluster of Excellence 171 — DFG Research Center 103 (CNMPB, Cluster of Excellence).
Announcements & News
Abberior Instruments STED System equipped with New 775nm STED laser – up to 3 Watts (31.01.2018)
New Software Modul on SP8 - FRAP (22.11.2017)
The Leica TCS SP8 micorscope is now upgraded with the FRAP Modul.
Besides the SP5 microscopes you can now enjoy high laser power bleaching and exquisite detection on the SP8.
New Opening Hours:
The FILM is open from 8 am to 6 pm, Monday to Friday. Last entry is allowed at 6 pm.
The Facility is closed on weekends!
Abberior Instruments 2-color STED 775 QUAD Scanning & 1-color STED 595 available!
595 STED laser installed! (08.01.2016)
488-like dyes or GFP for superresolution - go live with GFP
New Share Root
The Data share of the Facility has changed!
Please find your saved data now here:
Next FILM Introductory Course: ...
Write a mail if you need an Introduction
General Guidelines (short version)
- The FILM has biosafety level S1 - no consumption of food or drinks.
Samples higher than S1 level are not allowed to be taken into the facility!
- Booking of microcopes is mandatory. Access to the FILM is granted from 8 am to 6:30 pm - Access to the FILM later in the evening or at the week end needs special permission (contact us!)
Booking of the Abberior Instruments STED microscopce can at the moment only be done personally with Dirk Kamin, first using will be in presence and under his guidance.
- Only registered Users can book a system. Registration follows after passing the mandatory FILM introductory course.
- Booking is only possible for two weeks in advance.
- Booking slots have a maximum length of up to four hours per day.
- Do not book a system „just in-case“ you might have samples.
- Delete your booking as soon as possible if you do not want to use the slot anymore.
- Be aware, arriving later than 30 min after your slot started results in loosing the complete slot such that everybody else is allowed to use the time-frame.
- The User who booked the microscope is totally in charge of the system during this time-frame. Any kind of misconduct concerning the microscope will be attributed back to this User (and not the person, that used the microscope instead).
At the end of the imaging session
- Clean everything (objectives, stage, table). Do not use excessive amounts of oil.
- Export your data (all data on the Z:-drive will be deleted automatically after 2 weeks!).
- Fill out the „Logbuch“ which can be found next to the microscope (SPE, SP5). Fill in your name, date, time and any comments concerning errors, dirty equipment (e.g. from the user that had the slot before you), etc...
- If no other user is listed after your slot, please switch-off the system (laser, microscope, scanner, fluorescence lamp, PC, etc...).
Please contact us if there are severe problems with a system (hardware or software, or anything else). If you need assistance just come to us.
If you are interested in microscopy check out the Microscopy Club of the CNMPB.